Vernon E. Cleaves Agricultural Science & Technology
Lyman Hall High School

Your Subtitle text


Frequently Asked Questions

What towns send students to Lyman Hall?
West Haven, East Haven, Branford, North Branford, Wallingford, Hamden, Meriden, Cheshire, North Haven

Who pays for my student to attend Lyman Hall?
State law requires each town to provide tuition for students to attend the Agriculture program.

How does my student get to Lyman Hall?
Your town provides the transportation to and from Lyman Hall. Students must find alternative transportation if they are staying after school for sports, clubs or extra help. Contact your local bus company with scheduling questions.

What is Agriculture Science & Technology?
Agriculture Science and Technology, formerly known as Vocational Agriculture or Vo-Ag, is a program available to high school students. The following areas are offered at Lyman Hall: Agricultural Mechanics/ Landscape Management, Aquaculture, Plant Science, Food Science, Companion Animal, Veterinary Science, Large Animal Technology and Wildlife Biology. Agricultural Science and Technology programs are comprised of three components working together: FFA (an agricultural student leadership organization), Supervised Agricultural Experience and Agriculture instruction in the classroom.

What is SAE?
Supervised Agricultural Experience is an integral part of the Ag-Ed program. Students are required to meet a specific amount of agriculturally related hours each year. SAE allows students to pursue their interests in agriculture.

What is FFA?
The FFA is a student leadership organization that focuses on developing primer leadership, personal growth and career success. The Lyman Hall FFA Chapter holds monthly meetings after school in the Ag-Ed community room. After every meeting, the chapter holds a fun event such as baking cookies for soldiers, writing thank you cards for soldiers and having a “giving thanks” feast, chili cook-off or an eco scavenger hunt. Ag students are encouraged to participate in FFA activities to meet new people and  build leadership skills.
How do I apply to the Agriculture Science and Technology program?
Please coordinate with your 8th grade counselor for the application process. You can also access the applications on this website: Prospective Students -> Applying to LH Ag Ed. 
Can my child go to college after Lyman Hall?
Yes!  The Agriculture Science and Technology prepares students for both entry level positions and higher education. Students in our program attend various colleges and universities after graduation; some include UConn, SUNY Cobleskill, Unity College, UVM, Johnson and Wales. 

Did You Know...

  • There are 3,245 Agricultural Education students in Connecticut.
  • In Connecticut, Ag-Ed graduates have about a 5.25% higher employment rate than non Ag-Ed graduates.
  • In Connecticut, the number of Ag-Ed graduates who obtain a Bachelor's Degree is about 20% higher than that of non Ag-Ed graduates.
  • Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw and Jimmy Carter were FFA members.  
  • There are approximately 4,900 farmers in Connecticut which encompasses 400,000 acres.



Website Builder